Saturday, January 17, 2015

My inappropriate return




By "inappropriate" I mean both seasonally and age-wise. But, hey, I'm back!

I sewed this pattern slowly, in stops and starts over several weeks (months?), and excuse the melodrama, but it was like learning to walk again. Having not worked on a sewing project since maybe June, I was real rusty.





The pattern is the Fancy Tiger Crafts Sailor Top. It has great instructions, especially for a beginner, or someone like me who's trying to remind herself that she knows how to sew. I especially appreciated the raglan sleeves.




The fabric is a very lightweight cottony something or other from the Lisette line, and does give off a slight whiff of children's apparel (smells like teen spirit preschool). I bought it at Joann's a few months back, in a bout of retail therapy. Funny thing is, almost immediately after my purchase - like the next day, I started to feel a distinct shift in my style taking place. I've always been someone who can look at an array of objects/prints/whatever and immediately pick what I like, definitively. I found I was suddenly disgusted by the cutesy florals and bright colors in my closet. Ditzy prints and peter pan collars? How twee - how could I be bothered? Polka dots? Who CARES -- all those things I'd been drawn to, basically my entire life up 'til this point, seemed to say all is well, delightful, and predictable, which didn't feel right anymore.

This was... unexpected. I'll attribute it to winter's general bleakness, and my (now not so recent) singledom making me want to feel like an adult who has her shit together, and not like a naive, silly girl who prances around in pink polka dots (not that there's anything wrong with that). Those things are just not for me at the moment. It's much easier to both dress and feel happy-go-lucky in the summer, right?

I forced myself to power through (if you could even call it that, it was so SLOW!) sewing this top, and over the time it took to complete I've come to accept the garment, sloppy gathering & dodgy ditch-stitching and all. I'll tuck it away in my closet to save for spring, and move on to something that feels more sleek and appropriate for the moment.

But, you guys! Grumblings aside, I am truly pleased to have finished a project. Finally! I do intend to sew more things and more often than I'd been doing recently. It does feel pretty good to be creating things again. Also, I've got the Finch Makers Retreat coming up and am starting to get excited! April Rhodes will be there, y'all -- APRIL RHODES!!


10 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome back!! Hope all is well and singledom is treating you well. For the record, my own 2014 sewing and blogging was pretty slow, but recently I really feel like I've got the sewing monies back :D

    I totally see what you are saying about the switch in style. Don't get me wrong, I still have a soft spot for florals and polka dots, when the time is right but I'm finding myself wonder where all my plain fabrics are. When summer comes this could all change, though!

    Anyhow, very nice to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I am struggling with getting my sewing "mojo" back and I think you've inspired and encouraged me to press on! Happy creative sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Sue! I know I don't comment often but your blog was one of the first I started following and is still one of my favorites to read. I look forward to seeing what you make next :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Glad you got your sewing mojo back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! I empathise with that aha! moment you're speaking of wardrobe wise. I had exactly the same thing happen the middle of last year. I've just done a massive stash cull of the "old me" fabrics and patterns and it feels amazing. Embrace the awesomeness of change- it's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Sue! Man, I am so jealous of your retreat! I wish I could head out there too (stupid work...grumble grumble....), I really hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know EXACTLY what you mean about wanting to look like "an adult who's got her shit together". Fortunately, I haven't been pushed into this thinking by circumstances like yours (which i'm so sorry to hear :( hope things are looking up.) but I graduated from college almost TWO YEARS AGO so I'm trying to phase myself out of my college wardrobe and into an "adult wardrobe". And you're right, it makes sewing tricky, because it's more fun to sew with the fun fabrics but I know I won't wear the fun fabrics anymore.

    Good luck and I can't wait to see your projects and how they evolve after this revelation of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy you are back and posting!

    Any chance you are going to be in my neck of the woods (San Luis Obispo) any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I wish I could say "YES," but I'm not quite sure when I'll be heading out your way again. CA is DEFINITELY the next place I plan to visit, though, just not sure how soon I can make it happen! I'll hit you up for sure when I do! :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment!