Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Finished Project: Simplicity 2154 Bow Blouse


Finished Simplicity 2154


So, my latest project, the bow blouse in Simplicity 2154, has been completed and officially released into the wild. I finished sewing it over the weekend but didn't get around to wearing it until today. It's definitely a comfy yet cute blouse, so I'm hoping to make some more versions in the future. And, just so you know, those are JEANS, not leggings I've paired it with in the above picture. :)



blouse front

I wish the bow would sit more like this...


As you can see, I opted for a floppy bow on this blouse, rather than the interfaced version prescribed by the pattern. I purposely left the interfacing out of the bow to make it softer, but kind of wish I'd actually put it in! It's just SO floppy (especially because of the drapey rayon shirting I used) and I think I might like it a little better if it was stiffer...with more of a defined bow shape.



details!


I used a vintage red button for the back closure and kind of fudged the back opening since I'd somehow not noticed that one side of my collar was about half an inch shorter than its mate, meaning things didn't quite line up where they met in the back. Boy, do I love the collar on this blouse, though! It's just too cute.

When putting this top together, I (on a whim) omitted the side zipper and am able to just fit it over my head with no zip needed, since there's the little opening in the back.

The sleeve and neck openings were finished with self bias strips, with their own pattern pieces for cutting 'em out and everything. It was nice to have everything all measured out for me and I really like the way the finishes turned out.


Blouse back with collar close-up


I really enjoyed constructing this blouse - it was so refreshing to make something simple and quick after sewing back to back dresses as my most recent prior projects.

Here's what it looked like when I wore it to work. I was a little nervous to go 100% sleeveless at work, for whatever reason...so you get to see a cardigan shot, as well.



How I wore it to work.



What's up next?

More blouses for me, maybe a dress... and a shirt for Tom's birthday (shh!)

28 comments:

  1. It looks so cute. And i know what you mean about enjoying binding pattern pieces - the pendrell blouse has that too and it's really reassuring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! I think it looks great paired with the jeans and cardigan! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh this it soo cute!!!! Great job Sue!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute, love the fabric and love that bow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! The polka dots are super cute and it looks great with your jeans (which I also love by the way, it's so hard to find a good pair of jeans these days!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gosh darn dorable! I love this, it's fantastic! I like the floppy bow, myself.
    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the collar comes over your cardi at the back. I'm a little anxious going sleeveless at work too! I'm really loving this top on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great - I love the floppy bow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beaut, I really like it a lot. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a cute make, I bet you'll wear it loads! Have you considered basting the bow to the blouse by hand to make it stand up the way you'd like? It totally might not work, but could be an idea if it bothers you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, it fits you so well. And I loveit paired with the brown cardi. I imagine it would look great paired with a pencil skirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I've got fabric that is pretty much identical and have been meaning to make a sleeveless blouse out of it for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its adorable! I love the whole outfit, but the blouse is really a knockout! I would tack the bow in place so it stays where you want it - why not?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the floppy bow! I have my version cut out (but not put together) and I am thinking floppy bow is definitely the way to go. I love your polka dots, and the whole ensemble with the cardi is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very cute!! I like the floppy bow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Soooooooooooo cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blouse turned out so pretty! I love the bow detail!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how versatile this is! From secretary to fisky Rizzo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like this blouse. I also like the cardi with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cute! I adore it :). I have been wanting to try this pattern out for quite some time and seeing your lovely version is just the motivation I need!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is soooo sweet! Your version is the perfect advert for this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! The collar and bow is just perfect. Really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  23. sooo nice! well done it looks perfect! Very retro!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This pattern looks so good I've only seen really pretty versions of this top. I would have completely overlooked this pattern if it wasn't for all these versions. It looks absolutely adorable on you. Such pretty fabric too. I really like your blog too just stumbled upon it. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!