Saturday, May 25, 2013

Finished Project: Turquoise Taylor Dress

Turquoise Taylor Dress from FredFlare.com, pictured on the one and only Taylor Swift



I saw this dress for sale on FredFlare.com (before I'd even found ModCloth.com, gasp!), and was instantly drawn to the cute, retro silhouette, that easily translated into a very wearable modern outfit. I eventually pinned it (yes, this was before I'd discovered Pinterest) to my sewing inspiration board, and there the inspiration languished for quite some time. I had a lightweight cotton blend in my fabric stash that was approximately the right color, but I always seemed to be just a little bit more inspired by other projects to make this one happen.

Well, finally, a few weeks ago, I just went for it and cut this dress out, using New Look 6723. It has the similar neckline and princess seamed bodice, as well as a medium-full gathered skirt. I even had a recently-thrifted teal vintage zipper in dress length, so it' really seemed like the time was right! Here's how my version turned out.










I'd sewn this up with the idea that I could wear it to an upcoming wedding, but now that it's completed, I think the fabric is too casual and every-day for that, even though the neckline is a bit more interesting and could be seen as more formal.









Things I'd do next time when making this dress are:

  • Omit the curves from the neckline and go for straight lines, more like the inspiration photo
  • If I do keep the curved neckline, actually try when understitching the lining, so it doesn't look irregular & wobbly
  • Cut a size smaller in the bodice so the princess seam lines actually fall where they should
  • Take a half inch off the shoulders where the front & back pieces meet, and smooth out the transition there, better  -  I'd had to chop some off of the already finished seam there and it looks a little weird.

All in all, this dress is definitely not my best work, but it's very wearable and I'm ok with it! Mainly, just glad it's finished. I have already managed to wear it for Me-Made-May, so you'll see another photo soon. :)



11 comments:

  1. I have that pattern, but every time I start going through my patterns to see which one I want to make up, I end up passing it over. The cover art isn't as inspiring as it could be maybe. I like your version though. It seems to show the pattern to better advantage than the envelope does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always managed to feel the same way! The envelope itself is uninspiring... it helps to have something specific in mind first. :)

      Delete
  2. So pretty! I'm going looking for that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely blue! This is a total summer frock and a great first attempt at the fabulous Fred Flare frock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, and as always, I want to see it on! Love the colour :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fabulous colour and the neckline detail is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! I love it and the inspiration dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh tis so cute:) love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful! i love the neckline, and that color is just so summery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! The neckline is A - Ma - Zing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, "Actually try when understitching." Story of my life! I love the dress. It looks great on you, and the color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!