Sunday, June 30, 2013

Finished Project: Floral Wedding Guest Dress


Come to My Window Box Dress - ModCloth.com





As promised, I've finally got the photos and details of my latest dress project to share. It's another wedding guest dress. This time, I was inspired by a dress from Modcloth.com that didn't fit when I ordered it, so I decided to make my own version.

I searched high and low for this floral rayon fabric, but couldn't find an exact or even a close enough match in any apparel-specific fabric. I settled for a pretty quilting cotton by Moda Fabrics in a similar pattern and color scheme and paired it with Retro Butterick 5748, a pattern I'd admired for a while and finally decided I had a good excuse to buy.












When I started to get the dress cut out and put the project together, I realized I didn't have quite enough fabric to do the circle skirt in the pattern, so I created a gathered skirt instead, using Gertie's tutorial. I lined the entire dress in rayon bemberg, which feels great and makes the gathered skirt nice and swishy. It was my first time using the stuff and I'm pretty much hooked. I'll definitely be using it in future projects - it's so soft!

The alterations I made to the dress to improve the fit, since I didn't make a muslin, are the only part of the project I'm not 100% pleased with. I ended up needing to shorten the bodice, but chose to reduce at the already sewn shoulder seams to do so. This makes the armholes a bit tight and still leaves the fit a little off. It's still a fun, wearable dress, though. Here are some shots of the final product as worn to the wedding.










Belt - Target


One thing I'm really enjoying about this dress is how wearable it is. Since it's made from regular quilting cotton, it is easily dressed up or down. I felt fancy enough at the wedding wearing wedges, and then paired it with flats and a cardigan for work the following week. I'm looking forward to wearing it again soon!




24 comments:

  1. I love the dress ! especially the back neckline scoop is really summery. Your dress is so much nicer than the modcloth version.

    happy sewing :-)

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous dress! As you say perfect for dressing up or down, which always make a winning item!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so cute! The quilting cotton works remarkably well, and it does a great job of skirting (ha!) the line between dressy and casual. Is the fit something you can go back and fix, or will you just leave it as is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll most likely be leaving it as is, though I did make my alterations in a way that could be easily undone if I change my mind...
      I'll just make sure to sew up my next version a little differently. :)

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! Your dress is much prettier than the original. I love your shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a pretty dress and alot nicer than ModCloth .... very flattering on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely - this was my first ever dress pattern and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I've had this pattern for a few years, maybe it's time I actually sew it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Such a gorgeous neckline, and I love the fun cotton print. Cotton dresses are definitely calling to me this summer! And isn't rayon bemberg just dreamy??

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember when you were posting about searching for a fabric similar to the modcloth dress. I'm glad yours turned out so well! Very cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just so beautiful! I really love the style of this dress on you - especially the back neckline - swoon! Great shoes and fabric never hurt either ;) I prefer the dirndl style skirt to a circle skirt, but that's just me! It's better than the ModCloth version, for sure. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty, and I love your shoes. I have some fabric in my stash that is identical to the original mod cloth dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the dress is just too cute! Something I would totally wear!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh you look beautiful!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. O it's gorgeous! Love the fabric and the back neckline. I think the fit looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How pretty! I have that pattern on my to-make list, too, and I totally love your version! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable, adorable, adorable! The red and blue in the fabric go together so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks beautiful! Yay for dresses that do double duty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!