|I promise the collar is even, it just wanted to be a little bit stiffer on that one side in this photo!|
I used a bubblegum pink, sateen, shirting cotton I'd had in my stash for a while, but was never quite sure what to do with, since I only had 1 yard. I'd used a tiny bit for the collar on my Milly Wedding Guest Dress, but was a bit stumped on what to do with the rest of it. Finally it hit me - a basic top. Duh!
The fabric is such a pretty color, it makes me happy simply looking at it. I knew I didn't want just a plain shirt - the Laurel can be pretty basic - and I also didn't want to bother with setting in any sleeves. I opted for a sleeveless version with a self-drafted collar (you know I love a good collar), using Gertie's tutorial from her book.
One thing I was pleasantly surprised about was the fit. For my Laurel shift dresses, I'd ended up taking in something like an inch on each side seam, but the loose fit of this top works great and I didn't end up needing to make any adjustments at all.
The only thing I'd do a bit differently next time is cut out the top a little longer. I ended up making a whole pile of bias tape for finishing the armholes and neckline (using this basic tutorial, and loving it!) and used the leftover length as facing/finishing for the hem, to save a tiny bit of length on the finished top.
It's a super comfortable (and cheerful!) top to wear, and I've already begun incorporating it into my wardrobe for Me-Made-May. Yay!