Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Finished Project: Carolyn Pajamas

Hi, friends! I'm marching right along (get it, it's March!) with sharing my backlog of yet-unblogged makes. Today, we have the Carolyn Pajamas by Closet Case Patterns. I bought this pattern right when it came out because I've always loved classic PJ sets like this, and had just been debating pulling the trigger on some at J.CREW. Nope! I can make those! So, I (finally) actually did.


The fabric is a huge bed sheet I got at Goodwill. It's 100% cotton and feels great. The print is some kind of painterly style tropical setting amid trees and flowers with ladies holding parasols, standing before scenic views, sitting on benches, and little girls chasing little dogs. I have a bunch left, so I'm thinking about making matching long PJ pants, too. And also maybe long sleeve/pants Christmas PJs? Yes.





As you can see, I made the short sleeved top and shorts version. The shorts have a faux fly, which I like the look of and was happy to have Heather's well-written instructions for, since I'd struggled with that when I'd attempted to tackle (then abandoned) a Big-4 pattern with one, some time back in my sewing career.

By the time I'd actually gotten around to sewing up this pattern (a year... or years?) after impulsively purchasing it, I was under a self-imposed deadline to complete it before I left on a girls' trip to New Orleans for one of my best friends' bachelorette trip/celebration back in September. In the interest of time, I opted to omit the piping at the sleeve and shorts cuffs, as well as at the collar and center fronts. I even went so far as to skip the buttons and just stitched the front closed at a place that felt right. I personally never unbutton PJ tops anyway, but pull them on over my head, like a little kid. Yes, I also sleep with the teddy bear pictured. Adults can do whatever we want!

I don't have any super special construction notes and I did not make any real changes to the pattern, apart from skipping a couple aesthetic steps. I did somehow manage to line things up so that there is a big palm tree centered above my bum (when I'm not twisted sideways like in the above photo) and on the back collar, too. OK by me!




I wore these PJs all fall and have just recently started pulling them out again on warmer nights as spring edges nearer. I will definitely be making another set, just a matter of time (which could be a while because I'm easily distracted by new/shiny). Next time, if I use this fabric or fabric of a similar weight, I'll likely skip the interfacing, as it makes things around the neckline a bit bulky when I'm tossing and turning in bed. I actually like the look of only piping the pocket, but I've always wanted PJs with classic coordinating piping at the collar and cuffs, so I'm sure I'll try that at some point. So many PJs possibilities, so little time.


7 comments:

  1. So cute, and your bear looks as well-loved as my own sleep bear :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coco! Glad I'm not the only adult still sleeping with a teddy bear!

      Delete
  2. Love these! I've been dying to make some and I think they've been bumped up he list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely, and that fabric was a great find! That's great you've got plenty of the fabric left too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully I'll get cracking on the matching PJ pants soon!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment!