Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Finished Project: Laurel v. 4
Laurel pattern from Colette Patterns. I've already sewn up two dresses and a collared top from this pattern, and I just don't really see any reason to stop!
My first Laurel top was made from a shirting cotton that was more on the crisp side than drapey. It worked great for the collar, and I love wearing the top, but I also wanted to try the Laurel top in a lighter weight fabric that had some more drape to it. When I found this colorful, pretty, rayon print at JoAnn fabrics, I knew it was meant to be.
The great thing about this pattern is that you can sew a size 6 sleeveless version with just a yard of fabric, and that includes enough to also make your own bias tape for finishing the neckline and armholes!
I sewed this up in a long afternoon and honestly don't have much to even say about this blouse. Things I did differently this time around were to cut out the top about an inch and a half longer than the pattern, and also I used French seams throughout.
As you might have guessed, I LOVE THIS TOP -- the fabric is soft and lovely, the colors are great, making and applying the bias tape facings/finishes was very satisfying, and every time I wear the thing, I can't stop petting and admiring it. With this make, I feel like I'm finally getting closer (or the goal is more within my reach) to cultivating a wardrobe that is full of things I've made (with a good amount of room for vintage finds, too). It was such a fun and stress-free top to whip up, I'm sure there will be more in the future.