I've returned from my time off vacationing and participating in friends' wedding festivities. The past week or two has been a bit of a whirlwind - and now it's AUGUST! What? Where did half of summer go?!
Anyway, as promised, I've got all the juicy details on my latest finished project. Just for the record, I did complete this dress in July, so it still counts toward my one-finished-project-a-month goal - yay!
|On the pretty patio at the wedding with Tom.|
- Used McCall 5845 bodice along with the circle skirt from vintage McCall 4581 (after abandoning the bodice on that dress) and some drapey white-with-red-spots rayon shirting from Fabric.com
- On the bodice, I lowered the front neckline by 1.5"
- Added 2" to the back of the bodice to help hide my bra, but then somehow ended up liking the final look better without one!
- I made all of the darts inside, instead of outside as the bodice design prescribes.
- I lined
the bodice with muslin and half-assed some bias facing to finish the armholes,
since I didn't construct the bodice as I should have in order to
properly incorporate the lining (like this). Maybe next time I'll do it right!
- Ended up just making a small hem for the circle skirt without too much trouble. It isn't perfect, but looks ok to me.
|circle skirt hem and sad (but functional) armhole finish|
- Tried French seams for the first time on the unlined skirt.
- I'd wanted to do something interesting in the back since the design of the dress is fairly simple, so I created a tiny key-hole thing with a bow clasp.
|I used a sturdy clasp and some small snaps to secure the back bow. Note: photos were taken after wearing (and sweating!) in the dress all evening!|
- Didn't actually follow any instructions when constructing the dress, other than the waist-stay tutorial. It was fun to kind of just "make it work" as I went along - even though it didn't result in the most perfectly finished garment.
|Waist stay details - sorry for the wrinkles!|
- As for my hair, I just put it up in a bun and pinned back my "bangs" (they're almost too long to be called that) in a little swirl.
- Opted to pair the dress with a thrifted red belt, rather than making one - much easier!
- Wore with a pair of white wedges and a vintage straw/woven purse.
|vintage(?) straw purse|
- I got the purse at an antique store in Napa, CA a year or two ago when Tom and I were vacationing there. I have no idea what year or decade it's from, though I did notice a tiny "Made in China" tag inside, if that's any indication of its age. I love wearing it because it's just big enough to hold my phone, camera, wallet, and sunglasses and doesn't weigh a ton.
Results of Wear:
- Let's just say that sitting in the hot sun in 90+ degree weather during the ceremony had me doing *some* sweating, which ended up causing several of the red spots on the fabric to BLEED. I should have seen this coming, since there was a little bit of slight bleeding/running of red-ish dye when I originally washed the fabric prior to starting the project.
|bleeding dots :-/|
- Also, the skirt is now totally wrinkled and creased in a million places - oh well!
- The back bow kept coming unsnapped whenever I moved, but that wasn't a serious problem, since the clasp stayed firmly closed (keeping the dress from falling off!). It just resulted in one side of the bow flopping around a little bit while unsnapped.
|slightly crooked back closeup!|
- The back did get a little scrunchy/slouchy at times as you can kind of see in the photos.
- The waist stay started to feel a bit constricting by the end of the night. I definitely unclasped it for the car ride home!
All in all the dress was a hit and I'm pleased with the final result. It was my first go at making a circle skirt, a waist stay, and improvising the back bodice closure the way I did. :)
|Yay dress! and Congrats to Mike and Alison! (and yay, food! The salad I've clearly demolished in this photo had edible FLOWERS in it!)|